2 large ripe bananas, peeled (230 grams banana without peel)
½ cup packed pitted Medjool dates (125 grams pitted dates)
¼ cup virgin coconut oil 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder 1 ½ cup gluten-free ¼ tsp sea salt
¼ cup almond meal ¼ cup flax meal
3-4 Tbsp non-dairy chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
Preheat oven to 350° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the peeled bananas, pitted dates, coconut oil, and vanilla into a food processor. Process until smooth. Let it run for a minute or so.
- Add in the cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and process again until combined.
- Add in the rolled oats and process for only 4-5 seconds, just long enough to roughly chop the oats.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Carefully stir in the flax meal and almond meal and the chocolate chips.
- Spoon a large portion of dough (about 3 Tbsp or so for each) onto the parchment. Do not press down on the dough to flatten – simply leave it in a mound on the baking sheet.
- Bake muffin tops for 10 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Immediately transfer the baking sheet onto a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then lift off muffins and place on the rack to cool completely.
Traci Komorek RD, LD www.freshrootsnutrition.com